[BKARTS] Periodic Mailing: Archives Policy & List FAQ

ARCHIVES POLICY & BOOK_ARTS-L FAQ (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)

I'd like to welcome you as a new subscriber to our virtual world of the
bookarts. This message is designed to to give you some basic information
about resources related to the bookarts beyond the listserv, namely the
Book Arts Web. The URL for this resource is <http://www.philobiblon.com>

Book_Arts-L is a mailing list based at Syracuse University, and managed by
Peter Verheyen. It was founded it in July of 1994. It currently claims over
1500 subscribers worldwide. While a good number are practicing bookbinders
and book-artists, there are also marblers, papermakers, printers,
collectors, curators in libraries, and people just interested in our wide
and varied field.

"Our" homepage is located at <http://www.philobiblon.com>. Here you will
find a constantly updated list of "Book Arts Links" and resources including
tutorials as well as the Book Arts Gallery. The Book_Arts-L archives can be
accessed via the
<http://palimpsest.stanford.ed/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts> the home of
CoOL (Conservation Online). These archives contain every posting since the
lists inception in July of 1994 in HTML format and searchable.

PRIVACY & USE POLICY:

You are responsible for all postings made by you, or from your account.
Please think before you post anything inflammatory which you may regret
having posted later on. If it's confidential, do not send. All postings are
copyright to their respective poster, but should be thought of as a
publication in Book_Arts-L and its Archive. Your post goes to at least 1500
of your closest friends, and all messages are captured for the Archive.
Once in the Archive they will not be removed.

The Permanent Archives are also kept at Stanford University on a web site
at URL: <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/>.
These archives are courtesy of Stanford University Libraries, who set them
up and maintain them. As with any web based resource, the Stanford archives
are often available on other web sites because of the activities of web
robots or other search engines. By subscribing to Book_Arts-L, you
acknowledge that you understand any message you post or anything said about
you is public information, may be spread over the entire world by way of
the world wide web, and that anyone with a web browser may access the
Stanford archives. Once archived, messages become part of the historical
record of discourse in this field and will not be removed from the
archives. No exceptions.

In order to protect the privacy of subscribers, no membership information
will be made public, though the posters identity and email address will
become part of the permanent record in the list archive.

New links are always being added to the Book Arts Web, so please check back
often. Likewise, if subscribers have suggestions for links, please let me
know via the "Contact Form"

Please remember to be respectful or each others resources. Please don't
copy entire messages when replying and not add anything or just "me too,"
don't ask the list for information on setting options. Those should all be
sent to me at <mailto:verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>. Leave off the "; if
cutting and pasting. Otherwise double click and it should open new mail
window. Let's also try to stay on topic. Thank you for your cooperation.

Subscribers are free to post anything book arts related they feel might be
of interest to others. Topics have included everything from discussions
such as what is a book, to technical Q&A, to offerings of services and
supplies by vendors.

TO POST, PLEASE ADDRESS YOUR MESSAGE TO:

Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After you have subscribed you can also change your options.

To receive a copy of your postings send the message:

ALL COMMANDS MUST BE SENT TO:

Mailto:listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THE COMMANDS ARE:

To postpone your mail, for vacation, send the message:

set Book_Arts-L nomail

To receive your postings again later, send the message:

set Book_Arts-L mail

To receive a larger message every day or so, instead of many small ones,
send the message:

set Book_Arts-L mail digest

By default you will receive copies of your own postings. Should you not
wish to receive them please send the following message to:

set Book_Arts-L mail norepro

To unsubscribe send the message:

unsub Book_Arts-L

If you later wish to resubscribe to Book_Arts-L send a message to
mailto:listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <NOTE, "; NOT PART OF EMAIL ADDRESS>. The
message should read:

subscribe Book_Arts-L Yourfirstname Yourlastname

ALL COMMANDS MUST BE SENT TO:

Mailto:listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<NOTE, THE "; IS NOT PART OF THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND SHOULD BE LEFT OFF>

PLEASE NOTE: You must be subscribed to post. Since the server registers you
by the EXACT address subscribed with you may have problems should your
address change. You may not notice this at all until you have problems.
Should this happen. Please resubscribe yourself and send me a message at:

mailto:book_arts-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<NOTE, THE "; IS NOT PART OF THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND SHOULD BE LEFT OFF>

I will then manually remove you from you old address to avoid your getting
duplicate messages.

All this information is also available via the web in the Book_Arts-L
Archive accessible through "our" homepage. The url is:
<http://www.philobiblon.com> and then all you need to do is click on the
"Book_Arts-L" link.

Again, welcome to our group and I hope you become actively involved.

>> In schoen gebundenen Buechern blaettert man gern. <<

Peter D. Verheyen
<Email>            mailto:verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster - The Book Arts Web> http://www.philobiblon.com
<Listowner - Book_Arts-L>    mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx