Re: [BKARTS] Text software-Unicode and OpenType

Without getting technical, if I were going to put it overly simply, OpenType
is a dramatically improved technology for getting the most pleasing and in
some ways efficacious results from fonts with the least amount of hassle.
Jules states rather correctly that it is a big issue in terms of the
technology and it's likely that the dominos will fall accordingly. Adobe has
already dropped other types of its fonts, and they are, shall we say, a
pretty big player.

Whether or not it is a "big issue" at THIS time, since it is not ubiquitous
yet, depends on whether or not you are involved in really striving for
typographic excellence. If you are, then you should look into OpenType and
think seriously about using programs that support it, because it really
represents a leap forward. In my opinion, the combination of OpenType and
InDesign, which is also a leap forward in page layout programming, is a must
if you are into serious graphic design. However, not everyone is, and I'm
not one of those who thinks that everyone should be.

Having said that, however, I must add that I think it behooves anyone who
calls him or herself a book designer to learn about typographic design and
strive for excellence using the tools at hand. As has been pointed out in
this thread and others, there are many ways of doing this, even if your
tools are not the best, and of course, even the best software and the
fastest computers will not make you a good designer. Robin Williams, not the
comedian but the desktop publishing and Macintosh guru, has written a
marvelous little book called "The Mac (or PC) is Not a Typewriter" which
contains many precepts for professional typography that apply no matter
which program you use; many of her "rules" can be followed  to good
advantage using only a word processor. You can also cut down a tree with a
hand saw, but I frankly wouldn't want to do it. On the other hand, great
works of art were created for centuries without computers, and some very
lively and lovely pieces have been done with only a typewriter.

Katie Harper

7/19/03 11:56 AM, Ben Wiens at ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone know if Unicode and OpenType support is a really big issue, or
> will be with both publishers and individuals producing books?
>
> Though I knew about both of these standards I didn't know a lot about the
> specifics so I did some research, see links below.
>
> Unicode
> http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html
>
> OpenType
> http://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/main.html
>
> Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
> Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
> 8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC V3K1G3 Canada
> Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH