Re: [BKARTS] What's in a name?

Dear Friends

I thank Mary Baugham for mentioning my book about Making Multicultural
Books but I seem to have given the wrong impression in my writing. What
I do in my teaching (and writing) is try to combine historical
information with easily made book forms so that teachers have a
historical/ traditional content idea which relates to a book form that
is similar but not necessarily authentic. Newsbooks were published in
Europe and were the forerunners of newspapers. As stated, they told of
specific events. From what I can gather (since binding information is
often not specified), they were probably pamphlet stitch booklets. I
was looking for a simplified version and chose the fold and cut book we
are talking about which is much simpler for a classroom teacher than
organizing a project with needles and thread.

I often teach this style of book. I usually refer to it as a booklet.
On the directions on my website
(http://www.makingbooks.com/hotdog.html) I call it a "hot dog booklet"
since a common approach in teaching kids is to refer to folds that make
long skinny pages as hot dog folds and shorter fatter folds as
hamburger folds. Diagonal folds are often called taco folds. In
education books, I have heard the form referred to as a poof book.

One of the things that is so wonderful about this form, besides its
simplicity, is that all the writing ends up on one side of the paper so
that it can be easily reproduced. For my teacher workshops, I have an
11 x 17 page with the myth of Persephone in comic books style. The
teachers fold and cut the book to end up with a sample that they can
use for an idea for their classroom. The flat form of the book reminded
me of comic books and I made the connection between the superheroes of
contemporary comic books and Greek mythology. Although I give the
teachers a large sheet with all the text and images, I always have
students start with the folded blank book and add their text and images
after. I have also done class projects where we make a bookcase from
file folders or card stock that can house a collection of these
booklets. Each child writes a story, or a small group of children
collaborate, on a previously folded booklet. The booklets are opened up
and  laid on a copier and copied. Students cut and fold one of each. At
the end each student has a little bookcase with a sampling of stories,
poems, whatever, by their classmates. I was inspired by the Nutshell
Library by Maurice Sendak.

I will also mention here that I am in the planning stages of setting
things up so that I can offer my work for teachers as downloadable
pdf's that can be purchased through my website. My first offering will
be Multicultural Books to Make and Share which is out of print from
Scholastic. Since the copyright has reverted back to me, I have decided
that this would be the most efficient way to get it back out there. It
will take me a while. Since the book was done so long ago I don't have
anything on file and will be doing lots of scanning. I will let you
know when it is done.

in good spirit
Susan

------