Re: [BKARTS] publishing information

Camellia

I have experimented with publishing (self in my case) and here are some
of the resources I came across. The creation of the book is really the
tip of the iceberg. I found that I lost interest after that phase so
you need to make sure you are interested in marketing and distribution
as well. I did attend the PMA Publishing University mentioned below and
one of the comments that stuck in my mind was that even though we were
all liberal arts types, you won't make it unless you do the numbers.

I highly recommend the Publishers Marketing Association
(http://www.pma-online.org). They have an annual "Publishing
University" in May, chapter workshops around the country, a good
newsletter. Many of the articles can be viewed on their website.

Also
SPAWN, Small Publishers Artists And Writers Network
http://www.spawn.org

As for books, try
The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book,
Dan Poynter, Santa Barbara, CA, Para Publishing
(http://www.parapublishing.com)
one of the first and still most complete books out there

The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing
by Tom & Marilyn Ross
Writer's Digest Books
1994
a bit over the top (I don't remember if there were lots of exclamation
points, but I remember it reading as if there were) but good info

in good spirit
Susan

------
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord