The editor and trustees of Abbey Publications, Inc., a nonprofit corporation, are grateful for the support received from the people and organizations listed below, as well as from those who gave smaller amounts.
All donations go into the Abbey Publications account, thus contributing to the Abbey Newsletter, the Alkaline Paper Advocate, the Abbey pH Pen, North American Permanent Papers, and our telephone information service. In the last 12 months, donations from readers have totaled $5945.
Donors of the last twelve months are listed below as Benefactors ($1000+), Sponsors ($500+), Patrons ($100+), and Contributors ($25+).
Bridgeport National Bindery
Terry O. Norris
Elizabeth S. Banks
Joan T. Batchelor
Custom Manufacturing Inc.
Evelyn Frangakis, in memory of Susan Swartzburg
Information Conservation Inc.
Library Binding Service
National Institute for Conservation
Tawny Ryan Nelb
New York Community Trust
Ocker & Trapp Library Bindery
Ingrid Rose Co. Ltd.
Elaine R. Schlefer
Nancy Carlson Schrock
D & M, Inc.
Betsy Palmer Eldridge
Robert L. Feller
Frames of Mind
Carolyn Jane Gammon
Mary Todd Glaser
Margaret H. Johnson
Karen Jones, in memory of Susan Swartzburg
Hilary A. Kaplan
Jan Michaels, in memory of Susan Swartzburg
Martha M. Smith
Mary Ann Tyrrell
and one anonymous contributor
For years, this newsletter has been giving readers the wrong addresses for Walter Henry, the DistList, and CoOL. They are really:
Walter Henry: Preservation Department, Stanford University Libraries, mc 6004, Stanford, CA 94305-6004 (650/723-9381).
Conservation DistList: Those who are not registered users should use email@example.com.
Conservation OnLine (CoOL): http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
1. Current and back issues of the Abbey Newsletter. Back issues cost $5.00 each, and the current year is $45 for individuals, $49 institutions, $20 students. [Note: The last two prices were wrong in the last issue. These are the correct prices for the current year.]
2. Current and back issues of the Alkaline Paper Advocate, which is ceasing publication at the end of this year. $35 for individuals, $45 institutions, $20 students. It covers more technical aspects of paper production, chemistry and permanence.
3. Abbey pH Pens®, in any quantity. There are two kinds: the grey one with a purple cap, and a slimmer white one. Both are the same price, contain the same pH indicator, and both can be imprinted with the logo and telephone number of the customer for less than a dollar a pen, but there is a special price (about half the usual) on the white pen for professional groups and people who conduct workshops. The regular price is:
1-6 @ $5.60 per pen
7-12 @ $5.04
13-48 @ $4.64
4. North American Permanent Papers, a list of over 400 printing and writing papers made in North America, with short chapters giving background information on standards, testing, recycled paper, the P.A.T. test, and other topics. 53 pp., comb binding. The 1995 edition costs $19.50. The 1997 edition will cost more.
5. Copies of the subject classification scheme used for the Abbey Publications files and library. Available without charge to librarians keeping up a library or information service for preservation/ conservation people, if they will help revise and improve the scheme so that it can be published.
The Abbey Newsletter: Bookbinding and Conservation is issued eight times a year and has about 1040 subscribers. All subscriptions are for the calendar year. New subscribers automatically receive all issues published in the current year, unless they request otherwise, until October 1; after that, it is assumed that the subscription is for the following year. Checks or international money orders may be made out in U.S. dollars, payable to Abbey Publications; send to 7105 Geneva Dr., Austin, TX 78723, USA. Foreign checks must have the name of a U.S. bank printed on the front. International payments can be made by VISA or Mastercard.
Beginning with 1997, personal subscriptions are $45; institutional subscriptions $55, and subscriptions for full-time students and unpaid interns $20. Overseas air mail is $15/year.
Paid advertisements, except for job ads, are not accepted. Job advertisements are billed at the rate of $50 for the heading and the first ten lines (55-60 characters per line), plus $2 per line thereafter. Any notice that is appropriate and newsworthy will be printed if there is room for it. Claims for issues never received will be honored within a year of publication. Defective issues will be gladly replaced on request.
The Abbey Newsletter is selectively indexed in Art & Archaeology Technical Abstracts, and the Institute of Paper Science & Technology Abstract Bulletin. All issues are in print, and each volume has its own index. It is the policy of Abbey Publications to use permanent paper for both newsletters.
The Editor encourages readers to photocopy freely from the Newsletter; but the Editor's permission must be obtained before making more than 20 copies at a time of lengthy or signed articles. This lets us make any necessary corrections or updates, or contact other copyright holders for permission to reprint.
Abbey Publications is a nonprofit corporation set up to encourage preservation of written or recorded information, including the use of lasting materials in the creation of records. Its other publications are the Alkaline Paper Advocate and the annual North American Permanent Papers. The corporation has five trustees (Ellen McCrady, Gary Frost, Roberta Pilette, James Wellvang, and Thomas Clareson), and five officers (President Ellen McCrady; first vice president (position vacant); second vice president Roberta Pilette; secretary Gary Frost; and treasurer Paul Banks).
|Editor: Ellen McCrady||©1997 Abbey Publications, Inc.|
|Circulation Manager: Bette Abeel||Phone: 512/929-3992|
|ISSN: 0276-8291||Fax: 512/929-3995|
|Tax ID No. 87-0436104||E-mail: Abbeypub@flash.net|
Timestamp: Sunday, 03-Mar-2013 21:39:02 PST
Retrieved: Tuesday, 17-Jul-2018 03:54:15 GMT